Sit down! This is important - Let's talk about how you sit, stand and sleep. Why is you posture important, well lot's of reasons, but we will get to that in a bit. TLDR: Good posture is good for your bones and helps to keep you balanced and flexible 😉.
The Magic Posture Test
- Pretend for a second you're an elderly person, stand with your head down and your shoulders facing forward. No try to take a few deep breaths.
- Next, stand with your with your head and neck straight up, and your shoulders pulled back so that they’re in line with your chest. Again, take a few deep breaths.
Did you notice that its much easier to breathe when you’re standing up straight? Interesting right. Keep reading, we're just getting warmed up!
According to the clever people, posture plays an important role in the health of your mind and body. Marilyn Moffat, a professor of physical therapy at the University of New York says that “Posture isn’t just about how you look; it’s about keeping the entire body functioning normally,”
What could happen if your posture is bad?
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty turning your head or lifting your arms above your head
- Back and neck pain
- Headaches (Apparently this is called tech-neck)
- Decreased mood
- A double chin!!!!
How to fix it:
- Stand up every 20 - 30 min and take a short walk
- Regular bouts of stretching to relax your head and shoulders
- Exercising your shoulders and back (like rowing)
- A visit to a physiotherapist if you need it
A final word before we go
We like to keep things simple, so pick one suggestion from the blog and give it a try. Good health doesn't have to be expensive - let us know how your posture is going! Chat to us on our Facebook page or group, and check us out on Instagram we love to hear from you.