A meat lovers treat! - But it's healthy (so don't feel guilty)! Look at that picture... how can you resist! This one is for the guys... a marinated flank steak that just looks, smells, and tastes delicious on a cold June winters day.
In this recipe we trimmed off the sodium, fat, and calories and that's the health bonus: remember a lower-fat marinade also helps decrease the amount of HCAs (heterocyclic amines, which the clever people believe to work with fat in foods to promote cancer growth) this could form and deposit on the meat. So without further ado, lets get into it, we hope you enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons concentrated chicken broth (lower sodium if available)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 4 green onions (the white and part of the green) cut into thin, diagonal slices
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium-large flank steak (600g)
- Combine canola oil, chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl with a whisk; set aside.
- Remove any visible fat from the flank. Lightly score the meat with a serrated knife, cutting about 1/4-inch into the meat in a crisscross pattern (leave about an inch between cuts) on the top and bottom of the flank.
- Put the flank in a rectangular plastic container, add the marinade, and coat the steak well all over. Cover and marinate the flank steak all day or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Grill 10-15 minutes on each side or until cooked to desired doneness. Use a carving knife to cut diagonally across the grain of the meat into slices of your desired thickness and enjoy.
If you decide to try out this recipe, let us know how it turned out. Leave us your email address below for more great health tips and recipes.
Per serving: 232 calories, 24 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat (3.8 g saturated fat, 3.7 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 0.2 g fiber, 488 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%
Source/Credit: Recipe by The Web MD