For many of us, getting used to the new normal meant we had to give up some of the things we love...like chocolate. We hope you didn't, because we about to let you in on a little secret. Healthy chocolate recipes are real people, and the below facts just make it so much more of a delicious and healthy thing, hard to resist even in tough times.
Did you know?
- The scientific name for the tree that chocolate comes from, Theobroma cacao, means “food of the gods.” (No wonder the taste makes you feel so good)
- The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation. (Something we all need these days)
- Chocolate has over 600 flavor compounds, while red wine has 200. (No we know why they say Red Wine and Chocolate go so well together)
- It takes approximately 400 cacao beans to make 450 grams of chocolate. (Now that’s a lot of beans to make one slab)
- Chocolate is the only edible substance to melt around 32°C ( 90°F), just below the human body temperature. That’s why chocolate melts in your mouth.
- White Chocolate isn’t technically Chocolate, as it contains no cocoa solids or cocoa liquor. White “chocolate” contains cocoa butter instead. (Interesting)
- Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third. (Eat your heart out, now it all makes sense)
- Dark chocolate may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate is a powerful source of antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate may also improve the function of the brain.
Keep reading we getting to the good parts...(Ps. We bet you busy thinking about the last time you had chocolate and how it melted in your mouth, right.🤣🤣)
Anyway, let's get back to the purpose of this blog. In celebration of #ChocolateDay, we lined up 5 of our favorite, not the traditional chocolate cake recipes but a few healthy alternatives that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and without feeling guilty.
Pistachio Granola with Dark Chocolate and Cranberries
Looking for satisfying healthy breakfast or dessert that you can enjoy with some chocolate? Look no further, just add a few spoons of this homemade granola to some greek yogurt and you good to go. You can use granola bought from the store but be careful they might contain sugar. Use this version instead as its naturally sweetened with mashed bananas and topped with a touch of honey.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Squares
Ok, so you decided that you wanna eat healthily but also don't wanna skip dessert. What do you do? Well, here’s a recipe that allows you to have a chocolate-filled snack every day of the week. It's filled with loads of healthy stuff like pepitas, dried fruit, and peanut butter.
Banana Chia Seed Chocolate Shake
No here is something you can slurp on for breakfast, dessert, or as a midday snack. This unique chia pudding comes with mashed banana and Winney The Pooh’s favorite...honey to add natural sweetness so you won't even need any sugar.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes for One
We all love pancakes. Starting your day by having these bad boys for breakfast is the way to go, no matter what foot you got out of bed with. It’s a healthy, wholesome, dairy, and gluten-free recipe that's so good, you won't even miss the butter, eggs, or flour.
Ultimate Keto Chocolate Brownies
Ok, we must admit, this one was a bit strange when we saw it because one of the ingredients used to make these brownies are avocados. (Sounds weird right?) But, as we learned later, it’s actually quite tasty and not to mention the avos add lots of fiber and monounsaturated fat which make them good for you. What are you waiting fro, whip up a batch for your family or friends, they won't even notice the unusually healthy substitute?
You might also like this recipe: Plant-based Diet on A Budget
A final word before we go
As we combat COVID-19, staying safe, eating healthy, and exercising are some of the important things to do besides washing your hands. But, doing things that make you happy and keep you sane is just as important. (like eating chocolate) Hope you enjoyed this article, feel free to leave us a comment, share this with someone you love, and stay tuned for more great recipes, stories.